Saturday, July 31, 1999

July 31, 1999 CYCLE MONTANA

Since Myran was going to visit his friend, Trina, the same weekend as Cycle Montana, we rode together as far as Post Falls, Idaho. He would fly home and then fly back the next weekend. I would drive to White Fish, Montana and then drive back to Post Falls and pick him up the next weekend, and we would drive home together.

I left Post Falls late, around 1:00 p.m. Five hours sounded like a lot of time, stopping here and there to pass the time. I looked at my watch and it was an hour earlier. I forgot about the time change. I arrived at Whitefish, Montana only 15 minutes early. No big thing.

Not knowing anyone and having very little information what it was going to be like, made it an adventure that I hoped would turn out good, and it did.

Meetings were at 7:00 p.m. Sometimes I wondered where they got their information and sometimes it was right. I am sure they tried hard to get it right, but some things, like the weather, are not going to go your way all the time.

The food was on the whole nourishing and hot. I didn’t think I was getting enough, but put on 2-1/2 pounds. Somebody must have played with the scales.

THE FIRST NIGHT I put up the tent. There were no guards for the bikes so I put the bike in the tent with me. I did not bring a lock and didn’t like leaving $1500 lying around. The fit was not a problem. There was lots of room. Only one problem or two. Wind gust would blow it over during the night. No kick- stand. Bike land on bed. Person in bed wake up. Lean bike over other way. Tent lean over too. Next night tie bike to top of tent. Works better but tent still falls over. Third night put in stakes with ropes to center of tent. No more problems. Works well. Use this way the rest of trip.

FIRST BIKING DAY – How Early to Get Up? The alarm is set for 5:30 a.m. We have 78.5 miles to ride. Alarm goes off and I am up like a flash ready to go do my thing – bathroom, deflate mattress, take down tent, pack everything in my bag. Lots of room in bag. Takes about ½ hour. Stand in line to eat for 45 minutes. I am thinking this is dumb. Next day get up at 6:00 a.m., move slower, and don’t have to wait in line more than 15 minutes.

Take US 93S from Whitefish. Fifteen minutes later stopped my bike and said to myself, “This is the road I drive? Good thing I have a tail wind. The shoulder on the road was good to ride on; then we turned onto CR 28. No shoulder, but very little traffic to the Hot Springs. At the Hot Springs there was an old style museum. It was good. It was a good day but dry and hot at the end.

I met some people at the Hot Springs and was talking with them. There was a three-legged chair there and so I asked if I could sit in it, and was holding it down when this man hollered at me. “Get off my chair you fat walrus!” He was just having fun. These were the friends I was with the rest of the trip: Gloria, Ray, Jerry, and Susan . Names and me are easily parted.
There was two gals, Ellen and Elizabeth, Driving through and stopped to look for a friend. They know what his tent looked like and there were only 300 to look at and they got the right one. Elizabeth was thinking about biking and she is tall so I let her try out my bike and she liked it; of course, I am not prejudice (much). It might be the makings of another biker.

DAY TWO was a short-day, 44.8 miles. Lunch was at the end. Started at the Hot Springs to Plains then Thompson Falls. It was one of those laid back days. Went to Thompson Falls, bought T-shirts, and went in the tavern and had a beer. I swam in the river, in fact I swam in the river half way there. It was a hot day.

DAY THREE, 93 miles to Libby. It was a hustle, bustle kind of day. Everyone was in a hurry to get going. At the meeting they mentioned a hill at the end and everyone was dreading it. Everyone was hoping to get to it before it got hot. No way. I swam in lakes, creeks, and every place that had water. I even poured water over me. In some places there was a strong head wind, that put the odometer on the six and it was flat. I was not used to the heat, but I was getting that way. The truth about the big hill was that it was an incline, had a head wind, and it was hot!

I arrived at camp in time to eat, listen to the meeting, set up camp, shower, and talk with some friends, (Don gave me a cold beer), then off to bed.

DAY FOUR – 94 mile loop.

This was a day off just to do whatever you wanted, so I went to town and got me a three-legged chair. My first one, the one I brought from home, broke. Ten dollars, no big thing.

Back at camp at 9:00 a.m. What to do. Well, there was this gal, Katie, and I asked if she wanted to ride to YAAK. She said, no, but maybe part way. So off we went. We got to where it started to get steep, 30 miles or so, and she started back. I was talking to a little group and they were going on so I rode with them up the hill, talking. When you talk the time and miles go faster. At the top I left them and went on down. It had been raining so it was cool. YAAK was 37 miles. When I got there, it had two buildings, a tavern and a store. I went in and got a beer and a hamburger, then went over to the store and bought some candy bars and juice to drink on the way back.

Dinner was to be over at 7:00 p.m. and it was 4:00 p.m. I think I have a problem. Up to the summit at 7 to 8 miles an hour, stop to take picture of two big horses and their owners. It is time to make up time at the top. The sign said 5 miles down hill. I went 25 to 30 all the way. It was a slight down grade the rest of the way. 18 to 20 pushing hard, I got to town in about 2-1/2 hours – just in time to eat and attend the meeting. My day off and only put on 78 miles. The only day I got sore!

DAY FIVE – 69.7 Miles - Libby to Eureka

It was starting out great, cool, and I was making good time. I was sore from the day before but not bad. I was in the pack when I got to Libby’s Dam. I think I was the only one who went up to the view point on the other side and then through the visitor information center. This guy said they were going to go through the dam at 10:00 a.m. but didn’t know if he wanted to wait, so I talked him into it. Not far to go today.

After the tour I was slow at the potty stop and I just wasn’t in a hurry. When I went out no bikers were there. I knew the way, or I thought I did. I rode for an hour before seeing another rider. The road drags on when you are by yourself.

I have been thinking of going across the USA but it would be a lot of time with you and your bike. I am not so sure I want to do it now. Sometimes when you are biking, if you bike enough, you will make a mistake. The one I made was when there were no cars or trucks to speak of on the road. I saw one of my friends over under a tree in the shade; and I am thinking that is where I would like to be too. So, I pulled out onto the road and crossed it. There was this truck coasting down the hill and it went right in back of me. I did not look and it almost cost me.

The rest of the ride was uneventful because I was more alert.

DAY SIX – 55.6 Miles – Eureka to Whitefish

The night before they drove on the track of the school and lit up their tires next to my tent, honked, and yelled. They had done this at other schools but not as bad. Last day, improved sleep, and what looked like a flat ride. Wrong! There were these narrow roads with log trucks and semi’s on them. They did give you all the room they could, but when there is one going the other way, there not much room for all three of you. The main road was not a problem, but the back roads with the semi’s were a problem. At the end there was traffic, a rain storm that blew down trees, and lightning. A bunch of things that make you never want to comeback. The route was one I would not like to ride ever again.

I set up my tent, took Susan to the airport. She had a car waiting there for her. When I got back, we all cleaned up and went to dinner. A end to a good day. Any time you go for a ride and don’t get hurt, it is a good day.

The next day I was headed home. I picked up Myran and we got home at 12 midnight on the dot.

Early to rise – Time for the Bridge Peddle Ride. It was handled very good this year and was a lot of fun. We stopped on all the bridges and took pictures. Standing in the middle of a six lane bridge gives you something to think about, like most people will never do this.

It was a week of hard work, but a lot of fun and a chance to meet some good friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home