Thursday, February 16, 2006

Feb. 16, 2006 - Byran and Jerry in Portland
Byran, Jerry, and Ray – Tour De California

Jerry came to Portland, February 16, 2006, and the fun began.

He arrived at the airport and we gave each other a big hug. We were talking pretty loud and the people around us gave us a big stare. With all the gay people around you can’t even give a good friend a hug without their minds in the gutter.

We went to my favorite store (the Goodwill Store) where they sell everything people want to get rid of by the pound. I didn’t see anything I couldn’t live without. Then we visited Myran who was convalescing at home and very bored.

It was very cold, temperature in the teens with lots of wind. With the chill factor factored in it was around -10 or -20.

Day two of Jerry’s visit - We drove up to the Gorge in my Chevy S10 and the wind is blowing us all over. Yes, I draft with my truck too. There were about 50 MPH wind gusts. We got to one of my favorite falls. It is a .8 mile hike to the top and .4 mile hike to the bottom. I opened my door, then Jerry opened his door and the truck is blown clear of all paper. We put on our coats and gear like really fast and started out. There was very little wind on the hike. The trail was overhanging with lots of ice cycles – something to admire. Did I tell you it was 80 in Round Rock where Jerry was from with sun, whatever that is?

At the top the trail stopped – we didn’t, but were soon stopped by the thick brush and big rocks that we were climbing over. The sides were so steep that when a rock let loose it almost cut a foot thick tree in two. It would have been a sight to see. We then stopped and went back down. I walked out on a tree that was about four feet at the base. It had fallen over the falls which were about 100 feet tall. I didn’t walk to the end, but I did think about it. Jerry wanted something to talk about when he got home and my plan was to give it to him.

We drove over the Bridge of the Gods and stopped at Beacon Rock on the Washington side of the Columbia. It is 848 feet tall and the second largest rock of it kind in the world. The largest is the Rock of Gibraltar. The wind was blowing about 50 mph. It blows in Washington too and I think it was in the teens. It was cold. Chill factor was probably -10 or -20. On the back side there was no wind and the sun was shining. To get someone to do this you must be cunning and say, “My daughter, Zida, made it in ten minutes flat. Myran did it in twelve minutes.” We made it to the top in 30 minutes and it blew my skull cap off. If you set on the rock and put your hand out on the rock, you could feel the rock move. When we tried to take a drink on the way down, we found the water bottles had ice in them.

We went home on the Washington side. I would like to ride my bike on that side but it has its problems. Jerry is hurting by now and it is time to rest him.

Day three found us traveling to Seaside. Yeah, right! Well there is Saddle Mountain on the way down there and I conned Jerry into looking at it (not hard as I am driving). The drive to the trail head is a long one. I looked and it was only a 3 mile hike to the top. That is not far for someone who walked 24 miles across the Grand Canyon. I painted a great picture and talked Jerry into it and off we went. The walk at Seaside would be later (Not, but a good thought.) There was a lot of ice on the trail, and then it was just a great trail. I thought “this is not going to be hard.” It was steep, very steep. The snow had melted and there were ice streams that were hard to get around – too slick to walk over. As Jerry said, “Snow is your friend.” It was easy to walk in. The packs of ice got larger and harder to walk over. Some people turned around, but not us! I am thinking Jerry needed something to talk about. We went through the saddle and up to the real top. There is wind now. Could this be the wind from the Gorge? We went down the wrong trail and had to come back. Pulling on a ¼ inch cable, we finally made it to the top. What a view!! There was Mount Washington, St Helens, Adams, and Mt. Hood. The mouth of the Columbia was clear and you could see all the sand spits. The Astoria Column and the Astoria Bridge were in view, very small and hard to see. It was the clearest day I have ever seen – well worth the hike up. Now to go back down. “Jerry, you go first. I want to see if you can make it down.”

It was easier to go down than up, but we slipped a few times. Finally we were down, sore and hurting from the workout, but worth it all.

We saw the largest Sitka Spruce tree in the USA just as we were approaching Seaside. We ate lunch, drove on the beach, watched the sun set, and drove home. It was hard to get out of the car.

Day four – We worked on the car and got ready to go to California. I thought the brakes were going out but they were fine.

There is this trail in Forrest Park that we call the Witch’s House. It is about a mile walk with ice in the creek. This really was a nice easy walk. It was a rest day.

Then we went to the Mission (a McMenamin’s pub) to see what we could see on the big screen. They were showing a cartoon show so only a beer and popcorn and about a half a cartoon. It was fun to watch but something I won’t go and see.

Trina took pity on us and fed us since Ilene was off gambling with her sister. Some one has to make money to pay for my new Bike Friday. After all was said and done, it was only about $3,300.00. I hope we can get it into the suitcase to take to California so I can “show and tell.”


Monday, February 20th - This is what a real rest day is - a drive to Ray’s in Lompoc, Ca. - 975 miles in 15 hours and 15 minutes. That’s 915 minutes or 54,900 seconds. We arrived one hour ahead of our estimated time of arrival.

Gas was up to $2.87.9 cents a gallon. It was $1.97 when we left home. It was a good drive. We kept up with the traffic – 85 mph. When we got back, gas was $1.84.

Tuesday, February 21st – A day with my biking buddies, Jerry and Ray.

My new Bike Friday was finally going on a long 46 mile ride through hills and valleys. We met Chuck and off we rode. The sun was out and the temperature was in the 70’s. I was the slowest rider; they were way out in front. When I left, Marci called my bike a “girly bike,” so that must be the reason I was so slow. I had lots of gears but never got out of the bottom ones. I went about 6 miles per hour for three miles, then down the other side. Thirty-five point 6 miles an hour was the fastest down hill. We had lunch then yes, back over the hills again. My new fold up bike is not like a regular bike. Ray let me ride his the last two miles, and I could really tell it.

At lunch Jerry said that he could not get coffee and the waitress said she lifted the coffee pot to see if it was full. I squeezed her arm to see how strong she was. I am thinking this is a bad idea. She could have taken offence and smacked me.

When we got back to Ray’s, we drank two beers and went for another mountain bike ride in the dirt fields, then rode in Ray’s Element to have a banana split.

It was great fun to ride with friends who think 50 miles is not a big thing.

Another big day of riding – Up here, down there. The weather was great. Ray was off to a lunch. Jerry and I were off to do something. We went to lunch then Nojoqui Falls. It is a falls that is about 6 inches wide and a hundred feet tall. Where most falls cut into the rock, this one leaves lime and works it way out. On the way back I bought an ostrich egg for $22 and fresh strawberries.

We went for a mountain bike ride. About 100 yards of it was loose sand. Jerry got a cramp and fell. It was okay because I could use him for traction.

Then we went to Chuck and Stephanie’s place for Danish game hens. They were really good. We went back to Ray’s and I tried real hard to stay awake for the bike races at 10:00 p.m. I didn’t make it; they did.

The next day we went to Buellton for the International bike races. It was a first for me.

We went 46 mile today. A fast ride so we could go see the Tour of California. There were lots of people there and we were on the 75 meter’s to go line. They came “up” the road at about 30 mph and were past that fast. You had to be quick to see them. We were going to see them again the next day and hopefully view them a little longer.

Salvodeli Paolo won the Giro at the Tour of Italy. I got a good picture of him. I found myself getting excited about the races. There is something that is different about this type of race.

Orcutt was where we saw the race today. We drove there. We were there for an hour and they were past in a few seconds. It happened so quickly. They came up the road at about 30 mph. They were about 20 wide. You could hear the sound of the bikes and the wind. It was something you had to experience. You needed a fast camera. I took three pictures and one was of their backs.

Ray took us on a 40 mile ride. Yes, it was a hill that I road at 3 miles an hour and the wind was not at our backs. Dog run hill. Lunch. It was cold – 69 degrees. We went around the airport and came down dog run hill at 45.8 mph. My “girly” bike is good. Coming back on the flat they left me in the dust. I stopped to pick up a wheel weight and they went with the wind at 28 miles an hour. My bike only goes 20 so it was 8 miles of flat at 20.

Our last day to ride took us to a park 7 miles away by bike. There the Lompoc Bike Club met for a Poker Ride. I didn’t win but it was fun. It was great to see the bunch together again. We were giving out hugs and carrying on like we hadn’t seen each other in 20 years. I had my new Bike Friday and it got a flat so I rode it about a half mile to a place where they hand out the cards. Mister “Usually has too much” didn’t even have a patch, tire wrenches, or even know how to take the back wheel off.

I helped turn over the bike and it was everyone wanting to help. It was great to have so much help. A new tube and it was good to go. I had a little grease on my hands so I headed for the bathroom. I didn’t see the sign “MEN” and thought the men are usually on the right. WRONG. So not doing things right, I used the women’s rest room. It was good no one was in there!! The rest of the ride went great for us. 45 mile bike ride.

Back to Ray’s house and then to the picnic in the car.

Bob and the group cooked lunch and every one brought something to eat but me. On leaving Stephanie and I whined and carried on like we were never going to see each other again. Some big HUGS and off we went to ice-cream then to see Bob’s Prowler.

It took 25 minutes to put my bike in the suitcase. Jerry helped me a lot.

Up at 5:30 a.m. for the drive back home. We said good bye to Ray. What a great time we had at his place. He always finds a new place to ride. I let Jerry drive over the pass. It was snowing and the wind was blowing; I know this because I rolled down the window and could feel the wind and snow. It was my nap time. Jerry doesn’t get to drive in a snow storm in the mountains very often in Round Rock, Texas (near Austin).

It was a good drive and we were back at about 9:45 p.m., an average of 60 with four stops for gas and two for food. The gas gage on the Suzuki doesn’t work very well so when it was on the “E,” Jerry would get nervous and I would say, “It is OK. We have lots of gas. It has a 14 gallon tank and we are getting over 30 miles to the gallon.” The Odometer said 350 miles and it was 50 more miles to Oregon gas. California was $2.84 and Oregon was $2.24 a gallon. I got out the manual and it said that we only had a 12.7 gallon tank. Oops. What’s a mere 1.3 gallons? Jerry stopped and we bought $5.00 worth. In Medford, Oregon we bought 11 gallons. We would have had lots of fumes to run on. We put in 11.5 gallons when we got to Ray’s.

Monday was Maple bars and Coffee with “As the Shop Turns.” From there we went to the Oregon City falls, then over to Zida’s in Vancouver, Washington, and finished the day just doing a lot of little errands.

Tuesday, February 28th – It was raining. Jerry and I stopped to pick up Audrey to go ride Hood River to The Dalles and have lunch in a gourmet restaurant.

When we arrived in Hood River, the rain stopped and didn’t rain on us again. Now Jerry likes warm and when he stepped out of Myran’s truck (my van was being used for storage), he said it was cold and headed for the bathroom to put on more clothing. It was above freezing and the breeze was not too strong. As we rode with a tail wind, it was easy. Yes, there was a top and there was a big rain cloud coming but it missed us. That means there were strong winds. We put on all that we brought and headed down the other side. It blew us all over the road and it was a 6% grade that you had to pedal to go down. The wind was pushing us down and up. Lots of fun, (HA, HA). We are soon back on the flat with just a tail wind.

Audrey and I kept telling Jerry what a great place we were going to eat at and hoped they would let us in. One great bike path and we are to Subway. I lost on my bet to Audrey on the Super Bowl so I bought. They ordered six inchers and I got a twelve incher. I am thinking that might be why they are thin and ride faster than me.

On the way back they let me draft them and we went 15 to17 miles an hour into the wind. The wind was calmer now. We were dreading the hill as they took off and left me and my full belly. They were behind a sign waiting for me at the top. An interesting thing was where we rode there was a creek spilling over the edge of a cliff. The wind was blowing the water over the road. It was just like riding through someone’s sprinkler. Very cold!

Fifty-six miles and we were back to the truck. It was still raining in the Portland area when we got there. It was fun to pick on each other all day and have a fun ride with some variety in it. Jerry is saying, “Tomorrow we rest before my flight.” (Yea, right!)

Last day of Jerry’s visit - The boredom is setting in and it is only 7:00 a.m. Must stay clean and not sweat. Well one out of two is good. Multnomah Falls is asphalt to the top. Let’s go! Jerry says, “The temperature gage is jumping on the car.” and it sure was!

We hiked up to the top of the falls. There was a lot of water going over. Yes, I took him on a hidden rock climbing trail so he could look over the cliff and get a picture of Beacon Rock. Now back and fix the car so we can get to the airport. Pop container and water bottle - three trips and it is full. We made it to the airport. We did our hug thing and people stared.

After I got home, the radiator was leaving a lot of water in the driveway and Ilene used the van. I filled it and there was about a two foot stream of water coming out the front. I pulled the radiator out and took it to Able’s Radiator Shop to get a new one. The car is six years old. It was time for a new one. Get this - there is no aftermarket radiator; it is a dealer item only. $520.00! A fix was $35. I had the old one fixed. This was the best part - it didn’t get a hole in it when we were on our trip to California and back. That really made me happy. Cars fall apart - some sooner than later. One rock could have made the trip very bad. We were so lucky and I had a great time with my friends.

22 wheel weights

Come along and be Byranized. Talk is cheap and not as much fun as doing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home