Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sept. 11, 2005 - Cycle Oregon

Ray arrived on September 8th by train. It was only 2 hours late. We went to the Old Mission, a McMenamins Pub and Brewery, had dinner, and watched Football on their theatre size screen.

September 9th took us to doughnuts with the “As the Shop Turns” group (retired, tired machinists, one who will be complaining of a sore ankle next Monday). After doughnuts we tested the bikes and packed. On this short ride my bike odometer turned over 14,000 miles. I bought the bike in 1998.

Ray and I arrived in Boardman on September 10, 2005. We were ready for the Cycle Oregon 18 adventure. Ilene drove us there. She drove back to Milwaukie the same day - Something about not wanting to share a tent with Ray and I.

We tried the porter service and it was very nice. It seemed strange arriving there and our tent was already up. The tent was just the right size for us, not too big or small with two very comfortable chairs. We sat out front and talked to the people walking by.

Day 1 – Boardman to Condon – 79 miles

It was a hard ride for a first day but a good ride. There were people who said it was the hardest first day they could remember for Cycle Oregon. The grain fields and grassy hillsides were something to see from a bike and you could hear the wind whistling through the wheat stubs. There were a lot of ups and some great downs. We put our names on the wall in Ione. It was not hot – in the 70’s during the day and in the 30’s in the mornings. We talked to a few people from Alaska, Washington, DC, California, and others.

I gave away the last of Ilene’s bandanas monogrammed. I was trying to sell them, but one girl said they were only worth $2 apiece. It cost $1.69 without the embroidery. It doesn’t look like we will be selling them.

My ankle hurt a little and Ray had a saddle sore that he put everything he could think of on it through out the week.

Day 2 – Condon to the Dalles – 72 miles.

This was another hard day. My ankle was not good and there were a lot of hills and head winds. Now a hill and a strong head wind is something of a good workout. As we rode by the windmill farms, you could hear the blades. I was thinking it just was not my day. My ankle was sore yesterday and today it was swollen as big as they get and hurt a lot. Ray kept saying, “You should sag,” and I said, “Yes, I might.” Yes, there was a sore spot on the top of my toe. The first aid truck gave me a band-aid. I went to the first aid truck for my ankle and they said stay off of it and take pills and Ice.

The guy who never takes pills took three Tylenol and a lot of Ibuprofen. Every few hours I popped a few. I learned to ride with my heal on the pedal. I really wanted to do this ride.

Day 3 – The Dalles to Rooster Rock State Park – 68 miles

There was this girl from Hawaii and we were talking. She said I have something in my shoe so she pulled to the left side of the road and I followed. A car went by. We did not look and it almost cost us. There had not been a car for a long time. When I think of that stupid move, it scares me. Yes, I did another dumb thing. I was not paying attention and went off the road and fell off the bike into these big rocks just cutting my thumb. At the Interpretive center on the old Highway there was the first aid truck. My handkerchief was all bloody so they washed my finger with canned water. I said, “Can you cut the loose skin off?” He said, “I can’t do surgery.” Thinking about it, he was right. They put two band-aids on it and I went limping off. It was a hard day. I am thinking the pills were working on my mind so I stopped them. Ray had three flats and was still in camp before me.

There is always a bad sight and we had it tonight. My knee was hurting but not bad. We went to bed early. We camped at Rooster Rock and it was a campsite we will always remember (It was on the side of the freeway). You always forget the good sites, but the bad ones, never! Let’s see there were truckers, whom I am sure broadcast over their CB’s to “honk your horn (lay on it) when you drive by Rooster Rock.” Truckers and bikers have always loved one another. Let’s see, there were also trains (on both sides of the Columbia River) and cars. It was so loud that when it was quiet I would wake up. Yes, there was also the 6:15 a.m. news chopper that made a lot of passes. There were molehills in front of our tent. Yes, the grass clippings got in my fenders so I had to clean them and the mud off the tires the next day.

Out of the 15,000 tents (he lies), three of them were farther from everything - one those being ours. Mister Sore Ankle Ligament was having a great time distracting me. They got us a shuttle to the mess tent. Thank You very much! It was only a quarter mile to the shuttle.

Day 4 – Rooster Rock to Champoeg State Park (pronounced Shampooey) – 67 miles

It was a great day for riding - only one big hill. My neck hurt so bad holding my head up. It was a great place to camp compared to the last place. Two ice cream stops. There were two places where they let the kids out of school to cheer us on. The food was good as usual. We were off to the show. Yes, the tent was a long way from every thing. (ouch)

Day 5 – Layover or Optional ride – (Champoeg Park) – 5, 10, or 57 miles

Ilene came to see us. We went through the 600 acres of park and went on a pontoon boat ride up and down the Willamette River. Ilene took us to a Wal Mart to buy some things, like batteries and NuSkin for Ray’s saddle sore. No bike – a day of rest and did I ever need it. The rest of the days were short. I think we walked all of the 600 acres looking for a Phone and the sights; it was worth it. (ouch)





Day 6 – Champoeg State Park to Vernonia – 69 miles

It was damp, but a good ride. A root beer float and great camping, good band - all the bands were good. No rain at Vernonia. After my shower my shoulder was hurting a lot. The Barometer changed. Mister Hob Along is making it.

Day 7 – Vernonia to Astoria – 70 miles

Up early and off to ride. It is damp because of the fog. It would make most of the day cold until we arrived in Astoria where I finally got warm. There were elk at the reserve as usual. The Astoria Column was not as hard to ride to as I thought it would be. The walk up to the top, 166 steps, was not a problem. Coming down was not good, OUCH a lot. It was a clear day with very little wind. The ride down was steep, very steep. Ilene was waiting for us at the Maritime Museum. We took a hot shower and ate the nice free meal the town had for us (Ray bought one for Ilene), and then off to our beach lot for quiet and sleep.

It turned out to be a hard but good ride. It was hard because I didn’t train enough. Oh did I tell you about my ankle?? Of all the five other rides on Cycle Oregon this is the only one I have ever hurt on. Ray’s saddle sore did not go away (it was not because of trying every medicine known to man) and I don’t know why my ankle hurt so much.

September 18th

Ray, Vellen, and I went crabbing. We caught our limit, and it only took six hours. The seals were in and when they are around there are no crab to be found.

September 19th

We climbed up 1.8 miles to one of the falls on the Columbia River Gorge and then climbed up Beacon Rock. On Beacon Rock there were two different groups of people who had been following Cycle Oregon. It was fun to talk to them. When we got back, my ankle swelled again. What part of “Get off of it” don’t I understand?

September 20th

Ray and I put in the big boat and went for a three-river ride up to the 205 bridge. There was the Clackamas, Willamette and the Columbia rivers. We stopped on a beach and had a beer and sandwich. It was a great day to see the city from the river.

September 21st

This is the day Ray left. I took him to play 9 holes of golf at the Challenge Course. He likes to be on time. I do IF I must. This course was about 40 miles away form here and it was 9:30 a.m. when we got through eating at Denny’s. Ray bought Ilene and I a mighty fine breakfast. Ilene stayed home and Ray and I went golfing. Ray is thinking 9 holes, 4 to 6 hours, train leaves at 2:15 p.m. I get lost and have to go back to find the road. It has been years since I have been there and two years since I have golfed. I gave Ray the Goodwill clubs so he had a handicap. It worked out good. He is good. We finally found the course and he said, “Is there water there? Being the smart ass I am, I said, “What part of old tropical fish hatchery don’t you understand?”

There are trees and they keep you from seeing the flag. The long drive is 115 yards. There is one hole that is over water and another that has a sand trap ten feet deep. Yes, there is water IN the greens. It was fun playing the game with Ray. We were through with the game in an hour and back by noon so Ray could pack and shower before getting on his 30-hour train ride to home. The train was only 6 hours late.

September 22nd What do I do when Ray leaves?

I put the boat in just above the Oregon City Falls in the Willamette River and went looking for shinies. Found one that someone lost the unit down from the motor. I put down the anchor and wrapped the rope around the shaft, then was able to lift so I didn't get wet. I was so proud of myself. Now to pull up the anchor. Oh #$%^&* (it is stuck)! After working on it for about 15 minutes, I took a dip and was able to work it lose with my feet. It was in about five feet of water.

After looking for another shiny, I headed for Champoeg - about 10 miles. It was a warm day and I didn't put on my shirt. I needed a little tan on my back and belly. I was not too far up there and ski boats are everywhere - just parked. They were out on the way back. I made it to my goal. I put on all the clothes I brought and my life jacket. It seems the sun went under a lot of clouds and it was getting cold. On the way back I ran out of gas so I put in two more gallons and was off again. I was shivering a lot. Back at the dock I loaded the boat and turned on the heater. It ran full blast all the way home. I finally warmed up when I went to bed. Let me see - end of summer - take coat next time.

It was a lot of fun. My tendon still hurts but I would do it again. There is something about riding in a group in your own back yard and going on roads that you didn’t know were there. I didn’t know there were so many nurseries in the area.



Do
the
ride
when
it’s
there
!!!!!!









This is what Jerry had to say about my ride.


Let's see now, Ray used every medication known to mankind and Byran popped pills until he wasn't right in his head (not commenting on the sweet little Hawaiian possibly affecting his judgment) and a great time was had by all! Hmmmmmm!!!!
Perhaps it was the doughnuts that migrated to the ankle, they have been known to settle around bones, but usually it is the hip bones, thus causing the injury. Ray needs to get some new, high end shorts (I know he could get a bargain on Ebay) that won't cause ingrown hairs and saddle sores.
I know the medication had lasting effects on Byran, so I will need to ask a few questions: What % of the riders used the porter service? From the looks of the picture, they had little streets set up, with zero lotlines between tents. Not only could loud snorers be heard several tents over, you probably could hear your neighbor pass gas, or belch. It sounded like you were at the mercy of the porters as to where the tents were, but were they at the best spots or the worst spots in the campgrounds (yes, I read the one about being the furthest away from everything).
Let's get back to Byran's injuries: ankle, knee, toe, finger, neck, shoulder, plus another near death escape from a car (yes, another Byran, because you reported you did that earlier this year, or was that last year). And he says it was a good ride. Marilane points out that Byran is one of those folks whose glass is always half full (as opposed to half empty) but she wonders what it is half full of?
Here is what I missed most from the narrative: were there nightly trips to the beer garden, or did these get sacrificed due to the need to recover from injuries and replaced with ice cream stops? After almost getting clocked following a wahini, did Byran swear off conversing with sweet young things? No blueroom report (other than being set up far away from everything). Wheel weights (couldn't look because of the pain?). After Day 1, not counting the girl, it sounds like you didn't talk much to others (this is why I believe you when you say the medication was getting to your brain, because there is no way you weren't talking).
Maybe I should wait for Ray's account of the ride, to compare.
I hope no one was surprised at how late the train was, since it appears never to be on time.
Byran, I hope you have taken a few days off and elevated the foot and all of the rest of your body is healing. Ray, I hope your sore has disappeared. Sorry I couldn't be there to be sore with you. I am nursing a tender hamstring and right groin but they aren't hampering me much.
Jerry

The answers to his questions are.

I thought you did such a great job summarizing my story I sent it to all the people who wrote me.

There were about 450 rent-a-tents. Yes, Ray listened to some people in the next tent deciding on who got the good mattress and who got the good bag. We bought a beer every night before dinner. Yes, I like girls over guys. No pain, no gain, I must be near the top.

Marilane, the reason my glass is half full is it was full of Vodka (Vodka doesn't smell so people think it is water) and the top half evaporated away.

Let me see, wheel weights or girls? What to look for??? Ok, I can't ride and chew gum at the same time.

Now get real. Can you see me laying around. My foot will have to heal on the run.

Byran on the side

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home