Saturday, February 14, 2004

Feb. 14, 2004 - Jim’s and Valli
Snowmolbiling

As we all know, you need planning. Yes, plans are a good thing but over rated. (I am drinking hot grape juice at five a.m.) You have to get a good auction like IAAI. This is good to find out how much cars sell for. You put out a low bid and if your bid on line is high at 12 am, they will tell you what it went for. Now my bid was higher there and at the auction. I bought a 1999 Hyundai station wagon. Very nice, except for the big dent in the front. It went for $700. Myran helped me lot; he did the work and I kept the heater going. Tim thought he could use a car like this one for mileage so it is now his and he is thinking of taking it to Colorado. There was one problem. The seat belts didn’t work after the air bags went off so he took his minivan.

I know, the auction, and Matt and Zida want a van. I missed two by $50 but got a Chevy S10 for me. ( I am going to have stop bidding just to see how much they sell for) Two weeks before we leave a Nissan 2000 is ours for $3600. It had everything on it. Matt, Myran, Vellen, Zida and I worked on it. It was ready to drive in two weeks except for the rear hatch. It didn’t work too well and the lights didn’t go out on the inside. The front was hammered harder then I thought. Yes, Myran found parts all over the USA. The taillight was becoming a problem but they found one of them in Portland. ($75.00 used) It was finished in two weeks and they filled it and took it on its first trip to Colorado. A little test drive would have been nice.

Ilene bought a Husqvarna sewing machine. It makes pictures and names on cloth. (I think it is called embroidery) She only has one problem with it. How does it work? She is getting smarter with it all the time. We put it in our station wagon with enough food and clothing to last us a month or two. Yes, we are going to leave. With all our planning and packing done (the day before we leave) we are off.

5:00 a.m. and we are on the road. The Gorge is a mess (I-84). There were three overturned cars and one on fire on the over pass. It is very, very slick. Out of Pendleton there is a hill that looks like a cabbage head in the spring, and we call it Cabbage Hill. The road had been clear, not even wet, but near the top there was a hill that would not let the sun shine on the road. Yes, there was ice and a truck at the top of this hill. Now this truck was a lazy truck. He was lying on his side all the way across the two lanes. There was hope. If you drove in the ditch you could get by. That is what we did. My only regret is I didn’t take a picture of it. The rest of the way there were dry roads. Tune in later for the drive back.

We stayed the night in Provo. It was a Motel 6. $35.70 and it was clean.

The next morning it was off to Gunnison to buy food for the week and then on to Quartz Creek Lodge. (What about the food in the car?????) There was a little snow on the road but not bad.

When we arrived, we were lucky to get to see Mike and his friends before they left for home in Canon City. We moved into our room and talked over a lot of things with our friends. Jim had my Snowmobile ready to go. It ran good all week long. Everyone had a turn on it. Jim had some loaners that we could use and so a lot of us could go at one time. It was a great week and Tim learned not to take my advice.

This is how it went. I went riding and they lost me but saw my tracks. Tim tried to follow me but was a little lower then me. He got in the drift and the snowmobile went down and stopped. (There is a reason why I call it the rock) Matt and I walked over to him and talked it over. The thought was to go down hill and go to the north. It was soft. Tim went downhill and ended up in the bottom with nowhere to go but up. Matt and I went to get help, which would be Jim, the one with all the smarts. He said we had to get snowshoes, some food and water, and then go back out. OH JOY!!!!! With two pair of snowshoes Matt went down to where Tim was. I was thinking that we were going to leave it there till summer. (No joke) After six hours they were able to ride it out. They would pack a trail then ride it until it stopped then pack some more. They were sore and tired but they made it.

The grandkids, Noah (nearly 6), Aaron (turned 3 on this trip), and Caleb (10 months) enjoyed the snow. They had never seen so much in one place before. They had sleds to ride; even Caleb got to ride around in a cute little red sleigh.

We played Dominoes at night till after 12. The grandkids didn’t so they got up early. With the altitude, not much sleep, working the snowmobiles during the day, hot tub and one day in the hot springs, we were some people having a lot of fun. I did better this time. Last time I had so much fun that it was a month before I felt better. There was a week of bike riding in that one though. Tim makes good coffee and I needed it.

The week went fast and it seemed as though it was over too soon. It was great to take a vacation with our kids and friends. The drive was not a good one but worth it.

Ilene and I went to Denver and saw Valli for two days. One of the days we spent at Blackhawk where I won $ 1,000 on the two-dollar machine and enjoyed a great prime rib dinner for $3.99. The second day was spent at Cripple Creek. (No comment)

That was the most I ever won. I won $130 once before In Wild Horse. I didn’t put the $1,000 back in; I saved it to pay for Cycle Oregon.

The drive home was interesting. The first day was dry but when we woke up it was snowing and the drive for the next hundred miles was not that much fun. There was a grain truck lying in the middle with grain all over. We did, however, make it home in fine shape.

To sum it up - it was a fun two weeks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home