Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 18 – 22, 2009 – California International Bike Races

It was almost impossible to ride my bike this winter; just too much rain, snow, cold temperatures, and wind. Now, here I am faced with the International Bike races with Ray and Jerry. I’ve got to get in shape FAST.

I used an indoor trainer for about a month before, riding it real fast for about five minutes every day. I did do one ride. It was two days before I left for California. It was 40 miles long and called the “Worst Day of the Year” ride.

The Worst Day of the Year ride gets its name from two events that happened on this date in Oregon USA. In 1933 a record cold was recorded in Ukiah, OR (- 54 degrees) and in 1996 Portland had its worst flood.

Now this ride had two up hills about ten miles long. I walked part of one and the other one just never stopped going up hill. They were both fun to come down. The morning was freezing rain. The sun came out later in the day and it got to a balmy 40 degrees.

I put warmers in my shoes and my feet still hurt from the cold. Half way I put in better ones and they quit hurting. (Note: if you buy Heat Treat, they will get old and won’t work.) I saw a lot of costly houses that had great views. The people who did the 18 mile ride on the flat did have a lot of fun. They left later and the rain stopped. If you dressed up, they gave you a fender for your bike. Some people went into it big time.

It was a fun ride but very hard for the first ride of the year.

I left Portland Tuesday, February 17. It was too bad to drive so I took two planes to Ray's, and it went well. I talked to the guys sitting next to me and the time went fast. Ray was standing in the airport at Santa Barbara and I walked right by him. He had to holler at me. A big hug - this always makes people look. We drove to Ray's. Jerry got there soon after from LA airport and seeing his brother. Now us old retired guys are finally together again and looking for fun. I even brought a kite to fly.

We got on Ray's high end bikes and went for a 10 mile ride at 16 to 18 miles an hour. Yes, I was puffing very hard, but my legs were good.

Day Two: We went with some of Ray’s friends, eight of us in all. It was over to Solvang and part of the bike time trials course. Yes, I got a flat on the back tire of Ray’s bike just like the last time I rode with this group. (Why me?)

Someone had to do a potty stop at Mickey D’s. As we rode away they tore down a gas station. I would have jumped off my bike, but I was clipped in. Gee that will get your heart going.

Miss “S” was riding with us. She had an appointment for her nails at 3:00 p.m. There was no way she was going to be late. All we could do was get out of her way.

It was a lot of fun to ride with Ray’s riding friends. I always have a lot of fun with them.

The kite I brought to fly was ready. Last year the wind got up to 61 mph so I thought “no problem to fly a stunt kite.” Wrong, no wind to talk about.

Day Three: The racers rode into Paso Robles. We were there three hours early so we could get the pick of the freebees and look at the new bikes. There was one that was ten pounds. That is eight pounds lighter than my Titus. Ray is letting me ride a Titus and I really like Carbon Fiber bikes.

As the racers came down the road, there was a big cloud of dust and Levi Leipheimer was in the lead. If you ever get the chance, you want to go to a big race. They were in the 40 MPH range going down the hill in front of us - that is after riding 130 miles. I need a big hill just to get going that fast.

There was no riding today. Just eat and look. I guess you could call it a rest day. Oh yea, no wind for the kite either.

Day Four: Jerry went to Solvang in the car to sell his book. If you bought one he would sign it for you. Ray and I biked over with Chuck. It was an easy ride in the sun and no wind. (My bringing a kite was working.)

The time trials were fun to watch. Lance was one minute 15 seconds slower than the leader and Leipheimer shaved 8 seconds off the fast time. There were a lot more people this year over last year (four times). It took us an hour to get out of town - we are talking about 10 blocks; this is not a big town. I walked it to get to the car. This put us at the wrong end of town so Ray just drove around the town and we were soon at his place.

Ray signed us up for a dinner with the racers and the people who put on the ride. It was a promotional dinner and Lance's jersey sold for $500.00. I was thinking I would like one but the only thing you could do with it was hang it up because they were all signed. If you wore it, the ink would come off in the wash. There was a band. The people we ate dinner with were from Buffalo, NY and the guest speaker was Bob Stapleton, the owner of the High Road bike team. It was a very interesting experience.

Day Five: The ride for today was 57 miles from Ray’s house to the north end of Vandenberg AFB. Vandenberg Air base has 37 miles of coast line and the volume is 99,000 acres. There is a good deal of ocean out there and the wind usually blows off it. I am learning something. If you bring a kite, the wind will not blow, not a bit, even on the rides. Well, not much. Ray, Jerry, and Larry rode back on the bike at around 21 to 24 mph with a tail wind too little for a kite. I went 18 to 19 mph. They slowly left me in the dust.

So far 1,000,003 people have watched the races.

The forecast for tonight was for a big rain storm. That will bring the wind. (Wrong)

Day Six: No wind to speak of and Rain. It stops raining and Ray says, “Let’s ride out to the Ocean.” We took our rain gear. That was a great ride not too hot or cold, no wind, and we just leisurely rode for about 30 miles or so with only a hill to ride up and no rain or wind. All the days were just great for riding.

We watched the race on cable TV and Levi Leipheimer won for the third time in a row. Lance was fifth, I think.

There were 2,000,006 spectators who stood on the side of the road throughout the week to watch the racers go by.

Last day: It is time to leave my bike friends and go back home. What a great time we had. Today it’s rain, wind and a drive to the airport with Jerry - too late for the kite. I did try the kite throughout the week, but when Ray let go of it, gravity took it straight to the ground.

It was great to get home. As we landed, it was raining hard and 46 Degrees. The moisture just filled your nose and lungs. It smelled good. I got a new kite for Christmas and the weather has never been right to fly it, but in time it will happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home