Monday, July 26, 2010

July, 2010 - Jet Skiing
Sellwood to the South Jetty


Myran (son) tried to kill me or make me very healthy. I am thinking he and Matt (son-in-law) have it in for me.

You asked what did he do. Well, he suggested go to the coast crabbing and bottom fishing. That sounds good, doesn't it? WELL, I forgot the Jet Ski part.

We filled them up and put them in under the Sellwood Bridge on the Willamette River just south of Portland, OR. From there we went down to the Columbia River. No wind in the morning - WRONG! It beat the (^&*& () out of me. We pulled out at Clatskanie, Oregon to fill back up - 75 miles. From there it was on to Astoria and out to the A Jetty on the Washington side of the Columbia River - no fish there so on to the south jetty on the Oregon side. I caught four Rock fish - Myran caught two Rock and two Lingcod. The reason for not crabbing is someone forgot the buoys for the ropes. I am not going to mention my name.

There were a lot of rollers out over the bar but the weather was great. Not keeping track of time or tide, the tide turned. It started back out making the big rollers 20 feet and sharp but not breaking. Myran was about 100 feet away and I couldn’t see him because of the waves. We went about 20 miles an hour coming in and when you went faster you were in the air a lot. Finally we were out of the rollers and there was a tail wind blowing in the river. Now this is fun. You go up and the motor revs and the end of the boat goes into the next wave and tries to wash you off. Tell me again how much fun I was having. I tried to go fast but the only thing that was happening was I was getting shorter. My butt hurt. When I got back to Astoria I had a hard time walking.

The GPS read it was a 145 mile day on a jet ski. Tell me again how much fun I had. This is something not many people do or even think about.

I was thinking of going out for Tuna fishing. 45 miles out and back and if the weather got bad it would not be good. I think that one will stay in the bucket.

So what have you been doing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home