Saturday, July 14, 2001

July 14, 2001 Cycle Washington With Adventure Cycling

The ride was fun with good friends and an easy ride. Not many miles in the day so you could see a lot and just lollygag through the day. There were all kinds of weather. Rain in the morning, at noon, and at suppertime, but not cold. Then there was wind and yes, there was sun; not too hot, 90 or so. I have never been on a ride where the weather was so different. I had been thinking of a coast ride and the wet weather kind of gave me an idea what it might be like.

Well, it started like this. Cyndee and Valli signed up for the ride. With a little prodding (not much), they talked me into it. I do like going on these rides. I told Valli if she dropped by we would drive her up there. Well she found out that we have traffic, and at five miles an hour on the freeway, you have time to look around. It’s slower than riding your bike.

Valli arrived and the next day we got up early and started to Redmond, Washington. We stopped at Fort Lewis. I used to be stationed there. They have a museum that we went through, but we made some wrong turns at first and ended up at the cemetery. It was fun to read the tombstones. We made a lot of wrong turns; well not really. I never did find the barracks where I spent over a year. It has changed in the last 35 years. The Museum was good. I enjoyed seeing all the weapons. I use to know how to use them, well some of them. A refresher course on a plotting board would be in order. I was in mortars 4.2.

We arrived at Redmond. The school we were going to stay at was having a carnival. There was a lot of traffic and it looked like a mess with all the traffic and people. We called for help and were guided to the staging area. What seemed like a disaster turned out good. We slept in the school next to restrooms where they have the shortest toilets and sinks. It’s on your knee’s time.

There were 116 riders. Just the right amount for this type ride.

Day 1: Redmond to Langley

They told us about other rides on the route but I went by the arrows. I was leading and we were making good time. The ones that had CW on them were the ones to follow; they washed away so I followed the other ones. Every time we got lost or misplaced we called on our map-readers, the smart ones with the map and glasses, to save our butts. They were good at maps. My map was a virgin, never read the whole trip and looks like new. Now Cyndee’s map looked like someone played in the water and used it for a boat. She also had a phone and so did Valli. The macho man let the young ladies take care of him. Without their knowledge of map reading and calling, I would still be out there.

We took time to smell the cows; stopping at all the barns was fun. It was a good thing we stopped because I would put on more rain gear. I was getting short at the end of the day.

The ferry ride was good, and the view of the lighthouse was great from the ferry. It was overcast so the tops of the mountains were hidden in the clouds.

The weather broke and the sun came out on the last part of the day. At camp we put up tents rather then sleeping in the barns. We were at a fair ground. We almost got our tents up when the rains came and spent the night. No big thing. It goes like this. When you have on rain gear, you sweat. Well guys sweat; women glisten. So you are wet. If you don’t wear the gear, you are wet. Are you getting the point? I showered and more wet. It was not cold so it was no big thing.

It was a good day with a lot of good times. Forty-eight miles -- It was all-flat for the West Coast (not like in Kansas).

Day 2: Langley to Deception Pass State Park - 63 miles.

All day without rain. I am missing it. NOT. It went like this. We were in the back. Well not really. We were last. In fact we were last most of the trip. There were a lot of cows to smell. The rain went through and the leaders got wet, but not us. The arrows were painted on with biodegradable paint. They washed off. Our system worked well. The leader, that would be me, in front and the map-readers in back.

Valli turned a 1,000 miles on her bike. We had a big celebration. We ate chocolate. No power bars this time.

The scenery is something you can’t write down. It is just something you have to see. The pictures just don’t do it justice.

Everyone is talking about the long ride tomorrow. Personally, I don’t think much of it. Not a hard ride - only 86 miles. No big thing. Now this is a concern. The shifter on my bike broke and the spokes are loose on the rear wheel and there is 20 miles to go to camp. The mechanic on the trip fixed it up like new. He tightened up the brakes when I got back to camp. When it breaks, you only have high gears so you go fast and walk up hills - the only time I walked.

We stayed at a lake with a great sun set.

Day 3: Deception Pass State Park to Newhalem

It was a good day with low clouds and a little mist now and then. The ride was long but not hard. The three of us did well. Yes, we did stop and smell the cows. Methane is my favorite gas. A whale washed up and they buried it. They let all the little sand animals eat the meat. They ate everything except the bones, then they dug it up again and hung it in the top of this building. There was this tree that was cut down and set on its side. The rings dated back 200 years before Columbus came to America. Oh yes, there was an old fort there too. I don’t remember where this was. The bad part -- no cows to smell.

I had one of the best milk shakes I have ever had. Some gal left her purse and Valli picked it up for her. It was a good find. I carried the purse back so I got a beer too. Big saddlebags are good for lots of things.

Day 4: Newhalem to Winthrop 73miles

It started out cold but good for riding. By the end of the day it was hot and desert. Valli made a mistake of holding a beer in front of me at the end of the day and I drank her beer -- all of it.

I can’t forget the power plant. That is where we stayed. There were two turbans on display. They were little ones but a lot like the big ones.

I almost didn’t go to the falls but I thought there might be some cows up there to see and smell. I walked over this swing bridge that looked old by the construction of it. It was plenty safe, about ten times stronger than it had to be. 1921 was the date on the backside of the plant. Then up through the gardens and the falls. I met Cyndee. What the heck, I walked through it again. That night I was having a hard time relaxing so up the falls to see it in the dark with the lights. It was spectacular, all the different lights on the water. I had some fun with the staff. They said you could go through this gate and get to the top and look down on the falls, I went back up and the gate was closed and locked. I talked to some more staff for a long time and went back down and said the gate was open. We went up and looked at the falls. The other part of the staff went along with it and Commented on how slick the trail was. I think they were going to walk up. Then I told them truth. It was about ten so I went to bed. Now Valli had crashed and never saw the falls so I offered to take her in the morning. I think this makes five times up the stairs to look at the falls. Still worth the trip but the steps were starting to get names -- still no cows to smell.

I like giving a hard time to everyone I meet. Today was no different. I woke up early and was packed, had breakfast, and was reading the history on the area as Cyndee and Valli were just going to go eat. The most inportant thing is they are having a good time.

Cyndee had gone on ahead and yes, Valli and me were last already. We came to the first falls of five, I think, and Valli took pictures -- lots. Three. It was an up hill day -- 5,500 feet and some of it steep. Some down. That is where the snow capped mountains come out to say hi then went under. Next the rest stop. It was good for a laugh. They cut apples and other things to eat. The sack that held the apples to cut was under the table and yes, there are squirrels all over. This little chipmunk, about one quarter the size of an apple, took one and carried it off. He was fast. He pulled it under the van. I pulled it out so we could take pictures of the thief.

Valli had been doing a lot of walking so she sagged to the top and road down the other side. I went on and was soon to meet Cyndee still trudging along. We road together for a long time and then she got a ride. Being last I pushed on and was soon at the top. There were still people there. I rested and ate lunch at 4:00 or so and 30 miles of down the other side. I do like to go fast. I soon caught up with Linda and Cyndee. The wind was blowing and this leaf was going the same speed I was. It was just rambling along. I usually bring too much water with me but the water stop left and so I rationed my water. It was about 90 or so when we got to camp and that is how Valli lost her beer. She had our camp by the river -- a very good setting. Now if I could get these gals to put up my tent and blow up my mattress. NOT.

Day 5: Winthrop to Chelan 62 miles

We rode down hill all day through orchards. Peaches at ten for two dollars. I ate seven. Got another great milk shake with real fruit in it. Vanilla ice cream and fruit, that was all that was in it. Went swimming in the reservoir, shoes and all. Valli went in first, then me. Cyndee will take more training, but she did get in a little. Valli taught us to spit cherry seeds. Now stop and think about this. There are four grown adults standing on the white line as you are driving by. What comes to your mind?

We got to the rest stop and it was hot. This gal who was on the staff that told me the gate was open, said there were oysters with pearls in them in this lake. She was thinking I wouldn’t go get wet and try to find them. Ha. I ran down and jumped in and came back with two rocks. She got some wrapping tape and put them on like earrings. We all had a good laugh.

The campsite had its laugh too. It was a great place to camp. We had put our tents on someone’s imaginary line and had to move our tents. Valli moved hers two feet; I don’t stake it so I just pulled it over. No one used the grass all night. Macho man had it all under control. What a joke.


Day 6: Chelan to Leavenworth - 67 miles

Every trip has a day that is not that good and this one was it. No comments on it. The staff did well.

Day 7: Leavenworth to Skykomish - 52 miles

Valli wanted to get going early so I moved the alarm up. We got up earlier and started earlier. Yes, yes, yes! We were the last ones in. Valli was walking again and sagged for a mile -- only one mile. This is good. We thought we were doing good and stopped at a rest area. I noticed that it had history of how they got over the pass when there were no trucks and not many cars. The road was built by hand and dynamite. It was narrow but not too steep for the horses. It said 15 minutes to take the tour. Yea, right. When we got out the water stop was gone and yes, we were last again. So Valli called and told Tom we were on our way and he said keep riding. So we did.

At the top we ate a little. Valli was riding light and it was going to be cold going down so I gave her a thirty-gallen plastic bag to put on and keep the wind off. We started down the other side doing my favorite thing - going fast.

We got to town and there was an accident on the road out. They picked us up and took us back the way we came and went around it. Yes, I fell asleep and it didn’t take long at all.

This bike vacation was the best one I have done. There were such a variety of things like weather, terrain and the best friends. This one will be hard to top.



Byran

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home